Baker: Janey can’t just withdraw harbor plan
Says she would have to submit a new plan for approval
ACTING BOSTON Mayor Kim Janey said late last month that she was withdrawing the city’s downtown municipal harbor plan, but Gov. Charlie Baker on Monday said a plan cannot technically be withdrawn – it has to be replaced with something.
“Procedurally, you can’t really just withdraw a plan. You have to write one,” Baker said at a State House news conference. “You actually have to submit a new plan.”
Janey’s decision on the harbor plan dealt a major blow to developer Don Chiofaro’s proposed tower on the waterfront near the New England Aquarium as well as another tall building at the Hook Wharf site. The acting mayor’s announcement came in the midst of an election campaign in which Janey was facing pressure to pull the plug on Chiofaro’s tower.
“We have an opportunity and an obligation to meet this moment of the climate change crisis and protect our waterfront for generations to come,” said Janey in announcing her decision on the waterfront plan. “I look forward to working with local advocates and civic leaders to embed our shared values of resilience, equity, and access into the City’s development process downtown and throughout all of our neighborhoods.”
Baker said Janey can change the city’s harbor plan but she can’t just unilaterally withdraw it. “The way the process works around harbor plans is communities develop them; states certify them,” he said. “If you want to change your plan, you can, but you don’t just withdraw it.”