Trump wall contract doesn’t exist
Pressed by judge, US attorney says he is not aware of it
PRESIDENT TRUMP tweeted in December that he had just given out “a 115-mile-long contract for another large section of the Wall in Texas,” but a government attorney said this week in a Boston courtroom that he was not aware of any such contract.
The admission came during a US District Court hearing Wednesday on a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts and the law firm Todd & Weld LLP seeking any records related to the contract mentioned in Trump’s tweet. The Department of Homeland Security and US Customs and Border Protection had so far refused to provide any documents.
According to court transcripts, US District Court Judge William Young pressed government attorney Peter Bryce three times on whether the contract mentioned by Trump exists. In response to the third request, Bryce said: “No your honor, so far as I know, there is no contract of 115 miles as referenced.”
Bryce referred questions to the press office at the Justice Department, but officials there declined comment. The government admission was first reported by the website Law360.
“This calls into question whether the president has provided untruthful information about the situation at the border in other contexts, including whether the purported basis for declaring an emergency are untrue,” McFadden said.